ONLINE RED Workflow For FCP 7 ONLY (updated 05.22.10)
The RED One is a Film Camera with a digital back. The Imaging Sensor is The Film Plane, De-Bayering is the Chemical Bath, Color Science (LUT/Colorspace) is the Lab Timing, and Transcode is the Telecine. Your R3D files are a Digital Negative. Treat RED footage like film, and you will have good results.
The RED is NOT a Video Camera: it does no onboard image processing.
The RED is NOT an HD Camera: it does not shoot 720/1080
Glossary of Terms
- "The Caboose Effect"
- Plan from Front to Back.
- Start With Distribution, then work your way through Acquisition
- A File that contains minimally processed data.
- Contains Pixel Data from an Image Sensor
- Also Known as a Digital Negative
- Online Editing
- Handling the deliverable footage
- The FINAL stage of editing
- Offline Editing
- Handling Transcoded versions of the RAW footage
- NOT THE ORIGINAL FOOTAGE
- Footage that stands in the place of the ORIGINAL footage
- A set of instructions to Compress data for storage, and De-Compress for Playback
- a specific algorithm for compressing or audio*
- the process of restoring a video or audio file for playback from a compressed video, graphics, or audio file.
- the process by which video, graphics, and audio files are reduced in size.**
- Color Space
- a way to interpret numerical values for Color (RGB/CMYK/Etc)
- A method of mathematically representing color for use with a specific display or medium.*
- LookUp Table
- a set of instructions used to profile color and gamma to simulate their appearance on a given mediom, such as an HD display, or a specific film stock.*
- Mathematical method for calibrating an image's brightness values for use with different displays*
- the mathematical process of interpreting RAW image data from a sensor back into a full-color image.*
- DIRECTLY related to VISUAL QUALITY of your footage
- the PROCESSING of your DIGITAL NEGATIVE
- How it breaks down the Wavelet
- Quality (Down Convert is Size)
- Bring Data INTO a program
- Send Data OUT OF a program (Create a NEW TYPE of file)
- Convert video or audio data from one codec, resolution, and/or format to another.*
- A custom gamma and color profile used for viewing RED footage
THE ONLINE EDIT
- Preparing Your Footage for Transcode
- Using Your Camera Reports, Mark the RDC's that you want to Transcode in the RDM folders.
- "Don't Print Bad Takes"
- NEVER DELETE - You may need some of these files later.
- DO NOT RENAME ANYTHING THAT THE CAMERA GENERATES
- NEVER save or add ANYTHING to your original files: Make a Backup, and LOCK IT.
- Transcode in RedRushes
- Step 1 - Add Clips
- Add ONLY the RDC files you marked from your camera reports
- Step 2 - The Render Tab
- Debayer Quality: 1/2
- Timecode: External/TOD
- Look Source: Camera
- Color Space: CameraRGB
- Will be editing Digitally/MOST LIKELY for Digital Distribution (For Digital Delivery)
- Gamma Space: Redspace
- VERY Close to the way you monitored on-set.
- Step 3 - The Resize Tab
- [Check] Scale
- Preset: 1920x1080 (For HD Delivery)/2048x1080 for 2k Delivery (56 pixels on each side)
- Fit/Stretch: Fit Width
- Step 4 - The Output Tab
- Output Format: Quicktime Movie
- Quicktime Codec: Apple ProRes 422
- OUTPUT FOLDER!!
- Set to a New, SPECIAL folder on your Hardrive.
- Step 5 - Click Start
- Import Into FCP
- File -> Import File
- Cut Your Film
- Repeat as Necessary!
*From RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera by Noah Kadner
** From Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut 7 by Diana Weynand